Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mom

#reverbbroads11 Day 11: How are you like your mother? And if you're a mother, how is/are your kid(s) like you?
  For the longest time, I thought I was just like my dad: outgoing, average height, musical, personable. As I've gotten older, though, I realize that I share a lot of characteristics with my mom.
 My mom is relatively introverted, but she will speak her mind when she has an opinion.
She is very creative, but in a methodical and calculated way. She quilts (which my dad doesn't understand because you just take a big piece of fabric, cut it up into small pieces, and then sew them back together to make a big piece again) and makes some of the most beautiful quilts. I haven't honed my sewing skills, but I like doing crafts.
On my wedding day. My mom walked in (this is the first she'd seen me in my dress that morning) and we both got teary.
 She is one of 11 kids, so that gives her some great perspective on life. 
While I was growing up, she was the breadwinner in our house. She has worked hard to get where she is, and even though she has made some amazing contributions to the health care system in Columbus, she is really humble about it.
 She isn't afraid to pick up a hammer or shovel. She and my dad have basically doubled the size of their house and renovated the original part on their own.
 She's not a huge fan of shopping (neither am I) and she's not overly concerned with having perfectly coiffed hair and make-up. 
 While we don't have kids yet, I can only hope to be the kind of mom to them that she is to me. (And she'll make a great grandma.) 
 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails